A little update on the health front. I got all my testing back and the ultrasound show all my organs to be the right size, shape, form, and functioning properly. There are no abnormalities there, so that's good. My blood work shows me now only slightly anemic, just barely under the normal amount of hemogloben. That's also a very good thing! And the other blood test shows that I am not only positive for one type of Typhoid, as opposed to two types that read positive before. There are in all, four types of typhoid they test for, the four most prominent, Typhoid O, H, and A, and B. Before I had O and H. O is the most aggressive type, and its the one now showing negative! The H levels are positive but with a very low level. After having typhoid it can indeed always test positive even though you never get sick, just because it stays at some level in your blood. So, the doctor says I'm overall healthy. My pastor, teammates, and friends, think that this could just be exhaustion and my body needing to rest more. My pastor ordered me to take physical and MENTAL rest for two days this week. Today is my day off and I am forcing myself to do nothing. Man that's hard when you're the type of person who must get a gazillion things done every day! I am going to read and rest all day. The rest of the week I am going to get some reading and planning for the discipleship program done. This is low key work I can do from here at home, but it has to be done, as Pastor Carlos wants me to start that study by September.
On other newsfronts, I am really enjoying my two new roommates. I feel a bit bad that I have hardly gotten to spend a ton of time with them since their arrival. We have opposite schedules with their teaching schedule and my random schedule. They are really sweet girls and I feel like God has definitely put us together for a reason this year. I hope that God can use me to be an encourager to them. I think I am going to ask them if they would like to go through a Bible study together one night a week. I could use the fellowship with other single girls from my country as well.
We are in one of my favorite times of the year here in Mexico. It always surprises me how much Mexicans LOVE THEIR COUNTRY. If we Americans thought we were patriotic, the Mexicans have got us beat. September 16 is Independence Day (starting the night of the 15 at 11 pm). Already the streets are lined with vendors selling flags, and everything else you could possibly want with the Mexican emblems and flags on it. Yesterday I got to go to the Zocalo (downtown square of Mexico City) with Claire and Kayla (my roommates). It is all decorated for Indepedence Day. There are flags everywhere, huge (like 30+ feet tall) cut-outs of Hidalgo (the man who is most responsible for their independence), the Emblem of the Flag, and big banners that say "Happy Independence Day September 16 2008." It is so pretty. I hope to post some pictures soon. At church we are going to have a big independence day party. We are having contests to see who can learn and perform best one regional typical dance of Mexico. Also who can best decorate the hollow confetti-filled eggs they use at this time of the year. It is going to be a lot of fun.
I went to Iztapalapa on Saturday and unfortunately nearly all the kids, last minute had gone to a retreat with another youth group. Only five were there, so we held off on the Chronological study. I will go again in 15 days to make up for not getting to do it this past Saturday. We got to go out to an Argentine restuarant afterwards to celebrate Gerardo's birthday. Him and his wife Lolita are the ones in charge of this youth group. Gerardo is my friend Quique's best friend, so that is how I got the invitation to go and work with these teens.
I had English class for the first time in two months with Lina and her girls. They came here and met my new roommates and we studied for a bit, but then we just decided to talk and catch up, half in English, half in Spanish. It was good to see them again. Now that both her daughters are in the Jr High level, they both must take English and so we are going to be studying even more than before. I want to propose the idea of them also taking the Chronological Bible study with me. Pray they say yes and are open to learning!
Thanks for your prayers for my health and for everything here. It's been a "down and out" couple of weeks the past few weeks, but I know that God has given me this for some reason. I am feeling a little more energy, although I also have been getting immense sleep and really doing a lot less. I am going to get some more tests done to see if it is really nothing more than general fatigue, or it could be related to something else (Thanks Aunt Cheryl for your prompting).
Until next time!
Bethany
No comments:
Post a Comment