Greetings from Mexico! It´s been a bit since I´ve taken time to sit down and update, and I apologize to all who read this blog regularly. I am encouraged to hear that many are reading this and praying for me. Thank you! Feel free to leave comments as well:)
Well the past weeks have been busy! I´ve heard reports from back home in PA of LOTS of snow fall and cold temperatures. I can´t boast of any snow, although we have had some frost two mornings. Our temperatures here in Mexico have also been mighty cold. I am currently sitting here with a sweater, a poncho, and two long sleeve shirts!!! At night and in the mornings we´ve had temperatures in the 30´s (30 and 31 this week at night!!) and in the day in the mid 50´s to upper 60´s, but with cold breezes! Without heat, it makes for some cold times. We are surviving and I´m looking forward to using a big gas heater that Pastor Carlos and Monica are giving to me today!
Speaking of Pastor Carlos and family, tomorrow they take off to Veracruz for good! Carlos´family is form Veracruz so they will return there now that they are no longer our pastors. We are sad to see them go so quickly, but I find comfort in knowing they are going to a good church there, to their own family who will support them, and that God is in control of all of this. They already found a good school for Priscilla there as well. Tonight after praise and worship practice we will have a farewell party with them in their home. I had them over last week for Lasagna and an afternoon of just enjoying each other´s company. I sure will miss them!!! Once again, God is in control and all things work together for good to them that love the Lord. This is my security, as we say farewell to Carlos, Monica, Priscilla, Deborah, and little Mariann. Continue to pray for our church body as they mourn, understand, and learn to trust in God during this time. Pray that God protects our church from any harmful gossip, devisive people, or people who cannot handle this in a spiritually mature way.
Yesterday I spent the day in a dusty, brown Mexican graveyard, putting to final rest the mother of my friend Berta. Samuel and Berta host the youth group and events in Iztapalapa. Over the past 6 months they have become good friends and it was hard to see Berta´s mom go after her long struggle with Cancer. She is with her Lord now, as most of their entire family, including her mom are Christians. It was the first totally Christian funeral I have been to here in Mexico, and although it is always sad when a loved one dies, it was so neat to see the peace in this family, knowing their mother is with the Lord. We finished the burrying singing praise songs and one of my favorites, "Sumergeme" Which means "submerge me" and talks about us allowing God to "submerge" us in his love and care when we are tired and exhausted from living/serving Him. Afterwards, we all went to eat Pozole, typical mexican corn soup with chicken or pork. I drove back late at night to avoid traffic and was still shocked that I got in the end of rush hour, even at 11 pm!!!!! Only in Mexico City is rush hour from 5 pm till midnight!
In other news, life is busy but good. Today will be our third week of English/Chronological Bible classes at church. Praise God that nearly all of our students are NOT from the church and are unsaved people. They have all been extremely attentive to the studies on the Chronological Bible so far. Pray as I give the study again today. It is on "God created the living spirits and Lucifer rebeled." Last week was on "Who is God and how can I know Him?" and week 1 was "What is the Bible and why should I be interested in it?" Pray for all of these new unsaved students!!!!
I also continue to give classes to Lina and family. my ultimate goal is to open up an English/Chronological class here by my house as well, or in Tultitlan or Cuautitlan (close to where I live up here). I would like to have 1 class every day Tuesday-Friday. I am talking with a friend Ana Laura and another pastor about helping me organize classes in two other neighborhoods up here in the north of the city.
I have started the discipleship studies with Marisol and Diana and its going well. Not only are we learning a lot together, I am enjoying getting to know them better and building a stronger friendship with both girls. Marisol is 18 and Diana is 20 I believe.
Another single girl at church, Lety and I are praying for the women´s ministries together and planning the Christmas evangelical event. We hope to keep motivating the women and to get together with the pastors´wives at church now to organize future womens ministry, now that Monica will not be leading that area. Pray for the women in our church!
Tomorrow is the closing study with the group in Iztapalapa. We will conclude the chronological study with a review of how to use such a tool with other unsaved youth. I will continue to go and meet with them in fellowship when time permits, but this will be my last teaching time with them! Gerardo and Lolita are stepping down from leading the youth next year because Gerardo´s medical studies will be more intense and won´t permit him to commit time to other areas. Therefore, I too, will no longer be giving them the study, as the leadership will go to people who I do not know personally. Tomorrow I will get to conclude the study and tie up all we´ve learned together. I´ve enjoyed the time and chance to be there with them.
Please pray for:
-The English/Chronologica classes at church in Tlalnepantla
-English classes with Lina in Tultitlan
-Possible future classes to open in Cuautitlan Izcalli and/or Cuautitlan Romero Rubio and Tultitlan
-Discipleship with youth in Tlalnepantla: Marisol and Diana
-Closure to the classes in Iztapalapa
-For Berta as she deals with the death of her mother Alejandra and for Samuel as he is out of work and has a job interview today in English with the Logistics Department of WalMart
-Continued GOOD health (free of colds, coughs, and other ailments!)
-The future of our church and healing and growth after the dismissal of our pastor. For the youth and women´s ministries.
-My roommates who are teaching here at the Christian school, and Ron and Zina who are also filling in teaching and administering
-All of us who are entering the holiday season (Thanksgiving and Christmas) and spending it away from the families we love and miss!!!!
Thanks for reading, praying, and supporting me so much in this ministry. Your support, emails, words, phone calls encourage me to keep on keeping on!
Until next time...Hasta luego,
Bethany
No comments:
Post a Comment