I got home last night after spending Tues-Friday in the central state of San Luis Potosi, about seven hours to the north of Mexico City and about six hours from the USA border. My closest Mexican friend, Kurt Gomez, decided to take a job working in full time ministry for Campamento Maranata, a Christian camp in that state, located in Rio Verde, S.L.P. We (the family and I) went to drop him off, carry his belongings, and help him get moved in. It was a wonderful trip, its always neat to see and know new parts of Mexico. San Luis is HOT but absolutely drop dead beautiful--striking mountains, cactus-filled hillsides, amazing sunsets, beautiful natural waters (aquamarine in color), and lots of other nice sites. Rio Verde was like the mexican version of Grove City--a small town but with everything you really need, and big enough that there is still a nice downtown area and lots of people everywhere. It was an awesome town, I loved the feel of it, and other than being in Mexico, it reminded me a lot of my home town, in a mexican way! The camp is situated right on the outer edge of the town and has a large amount of acreage and lots of nice buildings and facilities. It was like SRBC (Slippery Rock Baptist Camp where I worked eight years) implanted into Mexico--the camp is surrounded by a river, then woods, then soccer fields and sports fields, more woods, and the camp grounds and buildings....for any of you who know SRBC, it was literally almost the same exact set-up and even the land was the same! It was really an awesome time there. Upon arrival, we spent the whole first and second day making repairs and cleaning the small house Kurt will live in. Its nothing special but it is a nice one bedroom, one living room/main room, a kitchen, and a bathroom--plenty of room for just one person. Afterwards we had time to do some fun "family" activities (his family are my adopted family here in Mexico). We had bonfires and cooked corn and marshmallows and steak over the fire, we went to a naturally fed themal water springs (called "Media Luna") two different afternoons, and we just had a blast working with the other camp stuff, helping in the kitchen, serving meals to the group that was there, getting to know the "tio" and "tia" of the camp (uncle and aunt is what they are called, but they are the director and his wife who live and work there full time). They both went to the Biblical seminary of Puebla, which is where Kurt also graduated from. Friday we all left sadly, saying our goodbyes, and made the long tiring trip back to the city. I got home around 3 am after a long long trip! I just ask you to remember Kurt in your prayers as this is his firstfull time ministry position. I know God has called him to this work and will use him greatly. I am excited to see the work there and how it is already being used in many lives! Pray for him as he adjusts from living so far away from all of us and also for the ministry there.
Back here in the city, life goes on and today I joined my teammate Darlene Gabler (and roommate) with her youth group in Los Olivos. Only two kids came, both a lot younger, but we still had a good time and a good talk about where halloween originated and the girl who gave the talk (Olivia) just talked about that topic, as we are now in October and here in Mexico they celebrate the "Day of the Dead" where they leave food offerings to their dead ancestors in hopes of interceding for their souls. Mexican aztec beliefs also have a god of the dead and worship and idolize dead ancestors--this is a deep part of all mexican's lives and the majority still do this. It is also very integrated into Mexican catholic practices and traditions and so Halloween here is even more used by Satan to distract people from God and put their attention and adoration in their dead ancestors. It was a good talk and we played some board games also. Now I'm getting ready for bed and will also be attending church there tomorrow (Los Olivos). Our team is at a transitioning point and I will now be working among many church plants, not just one sole church plant, so I am now visiting,just getting to know the people and the ministries, and helping in all areas I can from now through the end of the year. Pray for me and our team as we "transition". Pray for me as I am feeling recovered from Typhoid but still pretty tired--for good health in the future. Pray also for direction as I am seeing and meeting new people and churches in the next months. Pray for peace as I try to determine where God wants me to be working here in ministry, specifically in which church plants. And also pray for me as the past few months have brought a lot of very difficult times and decisions!
Thanks for all your prayers, I know God is working on behalf of your interceding prayer.
Bethany
No comments:
Post a Comment