3.05.2006

Praise God!

The last two days have been a whirlwind of events and busyness, but I can say tonight, that God is so good. How He works in the lives of those who do not know him astounds me. How He works in my life astounds me. I am just sitting here in awe of how good God is. He can teach us so much through our fellow brothers and sisters in Christ, as well as through those who are not Christians. It is so humbling to be taught again how much I need God by someone who is just learning how much they need God for the first time. Wow!

A little explanation of the above...This weekend I spent most of with my good friend Howard and his new friend Helmer. Friday night even, Helmer was asking Howard and I both so many questions about God. Just wanting to know if our friends and family were Christians, how long we had been Christians, etc. Well Saturday night it all really came to a point when we were eating dinner and Helmer began the conversation with asking me how long I'd been a Christian. I took the opportunity in telling him when I became a Christian, and the process, and what it means, and what Christ had done for us, and how I began to understand that. This opened up his questions further and he asked about how we deal with hard or tough things that happen in the life--challenges. He asked us how we make God first in every area of the life, from church attendance, to letting negative things influence us, to relationships with boyfriends/girlfriends, to knowing what things in life we need to change for God. It was just amazing to see him as his heart became more and more aware of his need for God. And I know that I speak for myself and Howard when I can say that I learned just as much how much I need God through Helmer's questions. It was just an awesome night.

Then tonight we met again for dinner and had the chance to all pray together. Howard asked for prayer that some day his good friend Helmer would accept Christ and let Christ change his life. Helmer asked that we help him pray, and said that he wanted us to pray that God would show him how to change and how to follow Him! It was so amazing to hear him pray, asking God to remove the things that in the past had prevented him from seeking God first, and asking God to help him to follow him. I just was in amazement at seeing God work in the life of this friend. And God has really used this to renew in me the realization that I need God above anything else.

It was an awesome weekend.

This week is only 4 days of classes, but they will be busy days. Tomorrow I am going to start tutoring a lady in English, so pray that God uses me in this and that I don't get lost on my way there. Pray for Shelley moving on Tuesday, and pray for the evangelical campaign this coming Friday night here with Luis Paolo. It is being advertised city wide and will be held in a park near the institute and where many of us students live.

Praise God for such a great weekend and how he is changing Helmer and pray that Helmer continues to seek God, let God change him, and that he makes more and more solid Christian friends to help him as he begins a new life in Christ.

~Bethany

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dear Bethany,

Wow!!! What a tremendous weekend!
God certainly is at work, and we are so grateful for your boldness to share your Faith with these beautiful people in Costa Rica. As Howard said, he had no idea when he came there to learn the language that God will open up such wonderful opportunities. I imagine you are feeling somewhat the same.

Blessings on you as you share the Lord with these people. Yes, we are praying for Helmer.

May God richly bless you this day.

Lovingly,

Jean and Roger

Have a wonderful week.

Rose of the Hill said...

Oh Bethany that is so awesome. I cried :-) I am so excited for where you are and how you are doing. God is using you in such an awesome way, and He is proving that to you over and over again
:-) Joe and I are praying for you. I miss you so much, and I can't wait until the day when all of us can do ministry together!!!! So how is everything with the school?