2.23.2006

Leaving on a Jet Plane!

Thursday, February 23

Well I write this post from the San Jose Airport that has free wireless internet! I have awhile to wait until my flight boards, so I figured I would get this written. The last two days have been very busy, with the spiritual emphasis week continuing. Last night, God really used the speaker to impact and challenge my heart and life. He spoke from Nehemiah 1, and asked if we cared enough to inquire into other's lives, cared enough to identify, cared enough to interceed in prayer continually, and cared enough to get involved. He said God sees how much you care by your prayers and then steps in. This has been something I have desired for so long--to have a more intimate relationship with God through prayer. Last night, I really had an amazing evening afterwards, spending time with two new friends Sarahlynn and Kari. We all three had been challenged in similar ways by the speaker this week, and really overall, just by living here in Costa Rica. I am praying God will help me make Him always the first person I go to for direction, for communication. I also want to personally make prayer a more important part of my life, daily, every moment. This week has been exactly what I needed, and God knew that.

This morning the chapel services continued with the speaker talking on "the mysteries of God." All week he has been joking with me saying that maybe God would let me hear this message before I leave (knowing I would miss the end of spiritual emphasis week). So he spoke on the 4 mysteries of God: 1-the mystery of God's call, 2-the mystery of God's Choice, 3-the mystery of God's Schooling, and 4-the mystery of God's Success. Now, this was amazing, because some things he said have been so on my mind and heart recently and it was as if God was speaking directly to me! He said we cannot in any way ever try to limit God. In 1 Corinthians 1:26-28 it talks about God using the base things and the weak things of this world, not those that are expected. He said that in our own lives, how many times do we set boundaries on what God can do? I know I do! Recently a friend of mine here has challenged me so many times to not do this. She has told me that I cannot know what God is doing or where he may lead in life, but I must not assume to know or try to tell God what His direction for my life is. Wow, this is a hard thing not to do! Please pray I am able to not limit God or assume I know His will for my future. Of course, I am secure in how He has directed me here to learn Spanish and then to serve in Latin America, but I must not for an instance think I can assume anything more of God's will. He can do anything!

Other than this, yesterday we had the English/Spanish trade-off at Howard's. This was fun, as it was the week before as well. He got some good pictures and I'll try to get those from him so I can post them, but it was two guys, Guillermo I believe and Steven. Then there was Kari, Howard, and myself. Kari, Howard, and I spoke Spanish or attempted to speak that only, as the other two are there to practice their English. Really they are both very good in English, much better than the spanish we can offer them. I was impressed to see how much Howard and Kari's spanish is improving. It is exciting to see that, and it encourages me as well. We'll probably all meet again next week as well.

Tomorrow is the wedding rehearsal and dinner, then Saturday the wedding. I think Ben and Shelley may be home, and it will be good to see my family. I will be excited to return here though, as I don't want to be home too long in losing the Spanish. There is a slight chance that Jessica may fly in for the weekend as well, that would be a blessing from God.

Well I think my time is almost up here, and my flight should be boarding soon. I will write more as I arrive in the following days.

Here are some prayer requests:
-My tico mom's sister, still in the hospital in intensive care
-the tico guy who comes to English Conversation, he is not a Christian, that we all can be a testimony and eventually have a chance to share CHrist with him
-School, that I don't just get by but I learn and challenge myself as much as possible and reach out more to people here
-That I would be a servant in everything and that I would care enough to be a part of every person's life I run into here

Hasta Luego!

Bethany

No comments: