The mind of man plans his way, But the Lord directs his steps.
My prayer is that the Lord directs my steps. It is so easy for my mind to take off with plans that I have made and for me to neglect the Lord's faithful leading.
I have not written in a bit over a week, but I have a moment now so I will try to summarize a few of the highlights.
Life continues as normal. Since my last update, things have been quite busy. First last Saturday we enjoyed a blessed day with the women from our church in the first ever women's retreat. We sang, had three talks, did crafts, and ate. It was really fun, I learned a lot about being a light (Matthew 5:14-16 was the theme), and it was so neat to see all the women just talking, fellowshiping, and enjoying the day away from their husbands and kids. We all need time alone with just other females once in awhile.
That Saturday, I especially had a long day, but it was such a day of blessings. I woke up at 3:30 am (yes it was still dark out). The adrenaline of the day was the only thing giving me the energy to be up at that hour. I went to pick up my good friend Kurt Gomez, who as you know has spent the summer working at a church camp in Northern Mexico. All went well and it was great to see him again. I came home and rushed straight to the women's retreat. After the retreat, I headed off again to a youth conference called "Encuentro 2007" that was in downtown Mexico City. I only got to see the last hour or so of Sat. night.
Sunday I attended the conference all day again (9am-10pm) and we all had a good time. There were lots of very challenging speakers, and great praise and worship music.
Monday was spent teaching English and helping Kurt finishe preparations for his interview with the US Embassy in hopes of getting his tourist visa.
Tuesday brought the interview. Sad to say, the US Embassy did NOT grant him his visa, on no basis, as we had every document required and could fully prove his intention for going to the US was not to work, but only to visit. I know God's plans are perfect and his timing is also perfect. Therefore, we came to the conclusion that it was not the rude, cold interviewer who turned Kurt down but it was God who allowed this to happen, as he sovereignly directs our lives. Well, as frustrating as it was, we will try to reapply in the future months and see what happens. Unfortunately, each time you apply you must pay $110, which is no small fee.
Wednesday I gave a discipleship Bible study with Rosa and Barbie on being victorious over sin and temptation in our lives. It was very impacting for all of us.
Thursday was my day off and I headed to a part of Mexico I have yet to know--Cuernavaca. My friend Laura Walter was here for her job, so I met up with her for a late dinner. Cuernavaca is called "eternal Springtime" for its beautiful climate and it is also known as being a very Spanish/European style city. It is full of beautiful cathedrals, small streets, etc. I loved it and hope to go back another day when I have more time to explore the city. It was a nice day away and refreshing to spend a bit of time with someone from home.
Friday I cleaned my desperately-needing-to-be-cleaned house. Today I continue to clean! I also had my first English tutor session with a neighbor girl, Lupita. She and her mom drove by, saw that we were from the US, and asked me to give her lessons. Amazingly, I find out now that her parents rent a house in...Las Trojes! That's right, just a block from our church. Maybe it will be a good place to live next year! Who knows. None of the family are Christians, although Lupita and I had a great time yesterday and I was able to share my testimony and my reason for being here. She remarked she never before knew what a missionary was. Another amazing fact--we had an intriguing conversation on the mazahua indigineous group I worked with. Turns out she also worked with them for a service project for her high school. She wants to go back to possibly work with them again. How amazing is God to bring people's paths to cross. I really look forward to tutoring her every Friday from 4-7.
Today we have youth group again, from 5-8ish. Pray for the girls, that many more would come as well.
Tomorrow the Iglesia Bautista de Valle Dorado celebrates its 18th (I think) anniversay. OUr church, the daughter church, is going over to join in the celebration. Pray for a wonderful day of fellowship.
Well that's about it....will try to update again soon. Only two more weeks till I get to go home for a ten-day vacation. And my little brother got home from his mission's endeavor to Asia yesterday! Praise God!
-Bethany
No comments:
Post a Comment