Wow...Its been an exhausting first week. Today marks one week of being here in Mexico City and it sure has been an adventurous week of many experiences and much learning.
Everyday you think you will get a lot done but usually by day's end you've gotten 1/2 of 1 of the many tasks that needed to be done. Things here take so much longer. To buy an appliance, I have to go and price and look at a lot of places and then each one takes time and traffic and energy to get to! And everything is so different as far as how things are done. For example, no house comes with light fixtures so I had to spend an extra $300 on about 15 light fixtures so I don't just have a bulb hanging down. So many things to learn.
Things are going well with the new house, just so much to do. I got my bed today so I could actually start living there, although I still need to have a guy come to hook up the lights, change the gas line for the washer and dryer to work (which I got 2 days ago!), fix the already leaking kitchen sink, hook up my stove, hang curtains and blinds, etc etc etc. Each day I am learning to be happy if I get one of those tasks done. Today I got two tables to use as desks and a mattress and boxsprings so this was a huge accomplishment. I also was able to look at some "rustico" style Mexican furniture which is really solid and nice stuff. Just taking it one day at a time.
Tonight for the first time I went to sit in and see what the kids club ministry at the church in Las Trojes is like. This is the new church plant I will be working with. We had about 30 kids and all were very energetic. It was really cool.
Two days ago my parents got here and had no problems getting them, with all flights on time. Since the last time I flew into Mex City they have made drastic improvements to the airport with now 3 huge international immigrations glass gates to pass through in place of one very congested as before. So I saw them right away and had no problems. On the way home they were welcomed to Mexico City driving with over 2 hours of traffic and a fenderbender as someone didn't stop in time and hit us! Not my car, but the missionary who had volunteered to take me, since I was unable to drive on Wed. Here, there is one day a week you cannot drive depending on the number of your liscense plate--my day I cannot drive is Wed.
Thursday we went downtown and say Chalpultepec Park and Castle, the Zocalo, casa de azulejos "House of Tiles" a famous and beautiful old restuarant, and the cathedral Catholic church as well as the Roman Catholic Basilica. A full day, but they really loved seeing it and kept commenting how amazingly beautiful Mexico City really is...It made me happy since I've been saying that for years, but most don't believe me that this city has some of the most beautiful, historic amazing places and buildings and sites to see.
Today we did some pricing and shopping, went to kids club and tonight had a very special neat dinner with the entire ABWE mexico City team. We all at the end prayed together for my house, ministry and just God's blessing. It was very special and I know it was a very good time for my parents to entrust this ministry and my being here to the Lord. I am thankful for this night.
Learing slowly how to drive in Mexico City. Tonight I had to cross 4 lanes of nonstop traffic and then merge into another 4 lanes going the opposite way, and my dad says, "how are you gonna go here?" And TJ, the Navarrete's son who was giving me directions just says, "you just go." Diana Navarrete has told me that a good saying for driving here is "No fear." You just go you don't think twice! I made it, even though a huge bus almost clipped me as he decided to pass me as I was merging without any warning. A typical day here.
There is so much to get used to and so much to do. But God is good and each day I can get a little more done to get used to being here.
Thanks for all the prayers!
Bethany
No comments:
Post a Comment