11.06.2006

long time since last update...sorry!

Well its been a while, things have been relatively busy but far from overwhelming.
Class continues to roll along as normal, not much new or exciting there. Finished translating Finding Nemo this past week which was fun, from English to Spanish. I learned the new word "mugre" which means "slime, scum, or filth." Great to know words like that:)

Since my last update, I've kept busy with out of class activities.

Last weekend I went to see a production of Noah's Arc with my teacher Laura Orellana, her husband Boris, and her daughter Carolina. We had a lot of fun together and then afterwards dined and Costa Rica's one and only new Wendy's restuarant! Yes, we now have Wendy's.

This past week I got to go to a young people's Bible study called "Unidos para Cristo" with my tica friend Patricia, and her two other tica friends. Learned a lot about how young people here talk in Spanish....tons of slang, lots of use of "may" which is used as "dude," pronounced "my". But its almost used as often as "ummm" or "like" in English. Needless to say, we had a good time and afterwards I got to talk to a girl here studying from Peru and a guy from Germany, neither are Christians. The Bible study is designed as an evangelical outreach to both Catholics and non-Catholics alike. They advertise as a friendly place for Catholics to come and not feel overwhelmed, as they may feel in a typical evangelical church that is so different than any Catholic church they've ever been to. Each week then the gospel is prsented and afterwards there is a time of fellowship. It was really neat.

This past weekend I had fun babysitting Peter and Emma Edgar (ABWE MK's) and we made pizza together, watched "Robots" and I even got some candy corn from Laura Edgar as a special treat. The things that make your day when you live in a foreign country where you can't buy candy corn!

In just a few weeks now I will be taking a final oral exam for ABWE to test my Spanish level and then one for the institute as well as a written exam. Only three more weeks for our maid's Bible study, and then we will have the maid's Bible study's Christmas party. Pray for me as I try to present a biblical picture of Mary and Jesus, born of a virgin, God's perfect son, and our saviour. I want to present a clear picture of salvation through Christ and also portray Mary as who she really is, not the over-exagerated version the Catholic church presents. Should be interesting.

We will also have Bible study tomorrow (Tuesday) afternoon from 2:30-4:00. About 8 women are attending now.

I've been talking a lot with my team in Mexico City and getting some more things finalized and lots of questions answered as its now only about 1.5 months until my arrival there! Its hard to believe its come up so fast, and yet I am so excited beyond belief that this whole process of application, support raising, preparation, and finally language training is about to end and I'm almost FINALLY there!!!! Please pray for me as I fly home Dec. 15 and 19th, and then drive to Mexico City Jan. 2-6th, 2007. Please pray as I try to adjust to life in the world's biggest city, driving in that city!, finding a house, setting up life there, lots of expenses to come along with all that, beginning in new ministries, renewing old friendships, and meshing with the already existing team in place in Mexico City. It is going to be a long process of new culture shocks, new transitons and lots of changes. I'm just as nervous as I am excited.

I am really ready and excited for the time I'll have in the states with my family. I have the chance to visit with my grandpa and grandma Dean in Florida for 4 days in route to PA. I will arrive in PA on the 19th in time for my little brother's 21st birthday.

Well thanks for reading and your prayers, I will try to update more often!!!

Chao from Costa Rica. T-Minus 4.5 weeks till I leave!

Bethany

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Bethany,

Enjoyed reading and catching up on all the happenings in your busy life. God continues to use you in ways you don't even know about.

Know you are getting excited and nervous both, about the upcoming weeks. Nice you get to be with your family for Christmas. Wish Howard could be home with us, but, we have to wait to see him in Argentina in April.

I was wondering on your way from Fla. to Pa. in Dec. if you are coming near to us, and if so, we would love for you to stop.

Blessings on you as your complete the last few weeks of study, and your other activities.

Lovingly,

-Jean and Roger-