
A picture of my mom back home in Pennsylvania and another of my mom and I here in Costa Rica in honor of Mother's day...Happy Mother's day mom! I miss you!God be merciful to me, blot out all my transgressions... The lines from a hymn that I have running through my head, and just one huge way God blesses us every day is His mercy. I've been reminded of His mercy as I see it at work in the lives of so many people here. The week's only three days old but it's already so full of blessings...thought I'd take a moment to update and to share just a few...
-Nearly 5 days straight now with lots of sun and not much rainfall (at least no all-out drenching downpours!)
-My tico mother's sister, Patricia, shared with me she is now attending an evangelical church. This is the same Patricia who in January asked me why I believe in Christ. Isn't God amazing that he keeps softening hearts and working His ways even when we don't know it! Pray that in the days or months ahead Patricia will become a child of God.
-Patricia (other Patricia!), a good friend who I met through Howard and church, has been praying for her family, especially mom and dad since two years ago when she accepted Christ. Two weekends ago I had the chance to really get to know Patricia better, and she shared with me how she has tried to be a light and salt to her non-Christian parents. The situation between her parents has been horrible most of Patricia's life, with a lot of fighting and lack of love (lack of Christ!). On Sunday we saw Patricia come to church beaming because she had just taken her two parents TOGETHER (they were trying to get divorced) to church! They want to keep going now as well! Not only this, but yesterday Patricia's dad told her he thinks she is using her to lead him to Christ. Wow! Never doubt the power of God to transform even the most seemingly impossible situations and people. Patricia also got to show her parents an evangelical film entired "La Esperanza." We have it in English, known as "The Hope." Keep praying, as I know many are, and how amazing to see clearly God answering our prayers.
-Classes are going so well and I am blessed with two great new teachers. I especially love my teacher Laura, who is from Chili. She is so sweet, a passionate Christian, and so excited to teach us about culture through the lense of a Christian worldview. I absolutely love her class.
-I got an unexpected gift of coconut lime lotion:) which everyone today said reminded them of the smell of the beach. And Mountain Dew!
-A friend back home has recently conveyed to me a new desire to seek God in faith regarding future committment to full-time ministry. I praise God as I had been praying that this person would be able to let go of the seemingly important material things in life and serve God without holding back.
-I received word via phone a week ago that my old English classes and Spanish classes in Butler are going super well. My replacement teacher, Autumn, also a good friend, is doing an awesome job and loves teaching so much that she wants to stay on for next year as well. Praise God. Back when I was packing up to come here, I wondered if they would find the right teacher and make a smooth transition, and sure enough, God gave the exact teacher they needed.
-My little brother finished up his sophomore year of college and he has good grades and is doing a ton better than last year. My parents are happy with this and it seems Aaron will work again at our church camp this summer as a counselor. I was praying he would choose to work in a Christian environment where God would stretch him, and that is what he's doing! Another answered prayer. Now I'm praying he'll come visit me in August:)
-There may be another English teaching opportunity shortly through a local Christian college/seminary. Pray God keeps bringing more people, opening more doors!
-Many simple small ways that God continues to work in Helmer's life and grow him as a Christian. We see daily God doing things that three months ago, I never could have imagined.
I am learning every day to never doubt God's power. He is working when I don't know it, and He is capable of doing anything....beyond all our expectations! (Ephesians 3:20!)
2 comments:
Bethany,
It was worth staying up 15 minutes extra to catch up on your news. It's really exciting to hear how many things God is doing there. We will keep on praying for Helmer, Patricia (both of them) and your tico family and others. We are proud of you. I miss you, too.
Love, Mom
Hi Bethany,
Wow!! God is Awesome!!
It is wonderful how God is working in the lives of so many. We are continuing to pray for each of the ones you mentioned, and for you, as you continue to be a witness of Christ's Love to them.
Have a Blessed Day......
Love,
-Jean and Roger-
Post a Comment