What a busy weekend it's been. I am absolutely exhausted. I've been working all afternoon on doing my homework, as well as just getting some rest. This coming week is going to be very busy, but in a great way. You know, I was talking to a friend back in the states this afternoon, the one whose wedding I went home for a month ago, Heather, and she asked how I was doing and I have to say I have never felt more blessed or used in my entire life. I am so happy to be here in Costa Rica, and I feel so honored that God has chosen to bring me here, and is using me and giving my life significant purpose in serving Him here. It's just amazing. It's been a weekend of realizing how amazing it is how God is using all of us here. Saturday night some of us were reminiscing about what life back in the states would be like...desk jobs, phones ringing, working eight hour days on the time clock, etc.....And how amazing it is that God has taken us out of that life and brought us here, where my job is to be a witness to Christ to every person around me, at all times. Of course, that was my job in the states too, as a Christian, but here my only job is to learn Spanish, and to minister to others. Every day I come home completely exhausted but in such a full, complete way. Can life get any better than this?
It seems the more we surrender, the more God shows us we need to surrender. And the more we surrender, the more full and content we are in Him. I was reading in Galatians this morning, and came across a famous verse which is also a song. I have had the song version stuck in my head all day, and a lot of the message at church reflected this verse:
I have been crucified with Christ, it is no longer I who lives, but Christ lives in me. And the life which I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God,
who loved me and gave himself for me. Galatians 2:20
In Spanish it reads,
Con Cristo estoy juntamente crucificado, y ya no vivo yo, mas vive Cristo en mi; y lo que ahora vivo en la carne, lo vivo en la fe del Hijo de Dios, el cual me amo y se entrego a si mismo por mi. Galatas 2:20
Sometimes reading the Spanish version really helps me understand the English. The Spanish really translates back into English as:
With Christ I am justly crucified, and already I do not live, but more, Christ lives in me and all that I now live in my flesh, I live it in faith from the Son of God, the son that loved me and surrendered himself for me.
I am asking God to help me to really live every part of the earthly life crucified to Him. Paul goes on to say that if we can gain righteouness through the law, or living by some set of rules, then why do we need Christ?
So a little about the weekend....Saturday was a long and good day. In the morning I joined Howard and his friends from the states to go see Volcan Irazu. The tour book we had warned us that it is usually very cloudy and impossible to see the volcano, except super early in the morning, but we still went! As it turned out, it was cloudy and rainy here in San Jose (very abnormal for summer), and was so foggy and cloudy up there we couldn't see more than maybe 30 feet ahead of us. It was 42 degrees Farenheit as well, which was as cold as I've felt here in Costa Rica. But the great thing was, that despite not seeing any volcano, God had a plan for us going. We met Antonio, a Spanaird in the little tourist shop. Since it was too cold and windy outside we talked to him for about an hour inside. He is here to do some environmental work on a commission from his town government in rural Spain. He asked us if we are affiliated with a religious denomination after we told him our work is missions. Howard invited him to come to church with us today, and this morning sure enough, he showed up. It was a powerful message as well, and quite a few of the songs focused on Christ's love for us and His sacrifice. We also had communion. Antonio told us he grew up catholic, but left the church because of the forced, rigid rules. He seemed really turned off to religion by his experience with the Catholic church. We're finding this to be true with so many down here. That's how Helmer was at first too, thinking Christianity is just some set of rules and regulations to follow. But, as the verse reminded me this morning, "For if righteousness comes through the law, then Christ died in vain."
Pray that God will continue to work in Antonio's life and bring more Christians into his path. Pray that Antonio will think about what he heard this morning and God will draw Antonio to him.
Pray also for our Bible study this wednesday at 7:00. Jasmine called me today and she is definitely coming. Also coming is Steven, and possibly Helmer, possibly Jonathan from Nicaraguan English classes, as well as another girl from the Columbian church, and maybe my friend Sara from Nicaraguan English classes as well.
God really blessed this weekend, He is giving so much right now, so many chances to share and I am so thankful to be here. Thank you for your prayers. Saturday night I was thinking about how many people are praying at any given moment, and I am just so thankful for you all who are lifting me up in prayer here in Latin America. God is working!
Hasta Luego,
Bethany
2 comments:
Hi Bethany,
Just got off the phone with Howard, but, it was interesting to read your blog. He had told us about the weekend, and it seems that God really gave each of you a special time with several opportunites to be a witness for the Lord.
Blessings on you as you continue to be a witness to those God brings across your path.
Prayers also for this Wed. when you start the Bible Study.
Loving in Christ,
Jean and Roger
Hey lady.
I love reading your blogs, it keeps hope in my heart that hopefully soon we will be there. You are right, knowing that your heart and direction that God is leading is for missions and giving up your all, it is hard to work a 40 hour job... I'm doing it now... blah :-) I am so excited to hear about the opportunities that you are having, it's awesome.
Joe and I are busy going to churches. We just went to one near the Binghamton NY area, this past Sunday. And we are working in our local church. I'm doing, Choir, Olympians, youth group, and a bunch of ladies things. And working full time. So to say the least I'm getting frusterated, but God is growing me bunches, and it is exciting. Anyhow, We are praying for you... Have a great week!
Post a Comment